Thursday, June 11, 2009

Stoopid ain't so stupid no more.

State College mountain bikers are a-buzzing this week. The first of the two summer endurance events(the Stoopid 50 and Wilderness 101) that have shown outsiders our extensive network of trails, is this weekend. But its not the same. Nowhere near the same. I never raced the original Stoopid 50 course, but I know stupid, and the 09 course ain't that bad. In fact, once I saw the map, I realized that I've left my front door and rode out to Rothrock to do a very similar ride last fall. It hurt, but was actually quite a reasonable ride.

Here are a few definitions for the word stupid:

stu⋅pid [stoo-pid] –adjective

1. lacking ordinary quickness and keenness of mind; dull.
2. characterized by or proceeding from mental dullness; foolish; senseless: a stupid question.
3. tediously dull, esp. due to lack of meaning or sense; inane; pointless: a stupid party.
4. annoying or irritating; troublesome: Turn off that stupid radio.
5. in a state of stupor; stupefied: stupid from fatigue.
6. Slang. excellent; terrific.

Since there seems to be mostly fire roads used for this years course, number 1 and 3 might make sense. Haven ridden most everything included in the course, I think we can eliminate #6. Hopefully, since I'm racing it, #4 won't be a reality. I think #2 is the most common use of the word and probably what the name is referring to. In years past, the course included such senseless, seemingly foolish features as a 15 minute walk up a mountain with your bike. You know, something that makes you go "Man, this is stupid!". This year there's none of that. Hell, all the hills this year even a single-speeder can ride up! (Thickhead Mtn Rd would require some grunting though).

Now, don't get me wrong. This will likely turn out to be an enjoyable day on the saddle. I just don't think it's all that stupid anymore.

Hm. Maybe I have a problem then...

Check out the Bikereg page here for more info and a map.

No comments: