Friday, February 1, 2013

input = output

Winter is time to put in those "base miles" for us lowly endurance athletes, and though anthropologically speaking we've grown accustomed (as humans) to putting on the pounds, it's the time to drop weight as well. A guy I used to travel and race with back at Penn State wisely said "it's cheaper to lose weight than have a lighter bike". So come race day you could be pedaling a clunker, but you don't have to be dragging along extra insulation.

Along with the physiological equivalent of putting carbon fiber components on your bike, the miles you put in are only as good as what you're putting in your body. Living in a super tight-knit community, where a cough or a high five has the potential to put you down for a couple days, recovering after riding is key. If I want to ride tomorrow, I better take care of myself today.

And so I've been fairly selective this Winter when it comes to diet. I've been trying new things and have been enjoying the results.

As I've mentioned before I've been enjoying some recipes from a company down the hill from me called Skratch Labs. Their drink mix sure the hell beats the crusty gatorade I found in the basement and the flavors are light enough to not leave a sticky residue on my bikes when it drips out of the bottles.
Hydration is key.
single speeders prepare for final TSE stage
Breakfast is important too. And when I don't have time to make eggs and rice, I go with Clay's sweet gruel. It's a breakfast porridge of sorts combining oat bran and chia seeds from the clever sponsors of cyclo-cross racers, Bob's Red Mill. To that base either honey or maple syrup is added with a rotating cast of dried fruit, nuts, and fancy pants nut butters. Salt too. 
seems simple enough...
admittedly, not terribly appetizing. tastes great though. 
Finally there's those post roller workout meals when you're in the kitchen in a sopping wet kit trying to prepare and eat something before you shower. Can't go wrong with eggs and rice again. Brocoli and pesto sauce round it out. I forget the company, but the rice blend has lentils and other exotic grains in it as well, making it a tad more interesting than regular old arroyo. 

No comments: